Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Atwood Cafe

Yesterday, lunchicago checked out The Atwood Cafe at the southwest corner of Washington and State street. This historic building shares the space with the Hotel Burnham. "When Mr. Burnham, John Root and Charles Atwood revolutionized their world and downtown Chicago by creating the 14-story Reliance Building (Hotel Burnham) in 1895, they became fathers of the modern day skyscraper (http://www.atwoodcafe.com/chicago-restaurant-history.php)."

The room is lovely, and very open and bright. My mom wasn't having a very good day, so this didn't feel like a proper lunch that we could focus on all of the particulars that we usually do.

For starters, we split the Baby Beet Salad (goat cheese mousse, frisée, brioche log, lemon vinaigrette). I liked this salad a lot but I felt that the goat cheese mousse was lacking a bit of flavor. I should have opted for the fresh ground pepper that was offered, I'm thinking that would've made it better.

Next we split an open egg salad sandwich - that is not listed on their site's menu. I loved this! It was on a toasted brioche bread and topped with a hollandaise sauce.

We also had a nice treat at the end of the meal for my mom's birthday, a chocolate molten cake with rum whipped cream! YUM!

I would definitely like to go back and try this place again. The wild mushroom orzo and amaretto creme brulee are calling my name.

Here's a link to their lunch menu: http://www.atwoodcafe.com/chicago-loop-dining.php?sec_id=2

No comments:

Post a Comment